Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What's wrong with the media, at least in this case

Thanks to our friends at Conde Naste Portfolio for providing some commentary and links to a panel session conducted earlier today by Ken Auletta and featuring Barbara Walters and Steve Kroft.

Walters provided a moment of clarity when she acknowledged how much she thinks of herself, and how that seems to be more than she thinks of the new President, a certain Barack Obama. For a person straining at her age to remain a size 2, she sure wears some big pants.

Here's the link, http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/mixed-media/2009/02/17/barbara-walters-only-the-morning-shows-will-last?tid=true

And if that's too much effort, here's the line:

A couple of years ago, [Obama] was interviewed [at a public event] and I went up to him when the interview was over and said, "How nice to see you. I would just hope one day, Senator, that you would appear on The View." And he said, "I have." And I said, "I'm so sorry I wasn't there that day." And he said, "You were."

Priceless, as they say. My money says Obama was right on this, and Walters was wrong. In the race to the 'get' you have to recognize that there's always a price. I prided myself on not only remembering who was booked on our show, but in speaking with them and engaging with them, regardless of how it went, after the show. Communications and memory go a long way, especially in the communications field.

No comments: